|LF+10: When/Where/What (I refuse to answer the Why )
||[Jul. 23rd, 2006|06:19 pm]
LF + 10: Back to Vancouver
|||||sweaty pile of goo||]|
|||||Enigma - Gravity of Love||]|
Solving a murder mystery at the top of "Skyland Mountain". Bowling in the Big Apple. Singing "David Duchovny, why won't you love me?" at the top of our lungs on the DC Metro. Getting lost on the way to Area 51. Being chased off by mounties while filming Baked Potatoes in Vancouver. A baby shower for Mulder & Scully's unborn child in a Vegas hotel suite. A frantic dash across two NY burroughs to retrieve a copy of the XF S7 finale. Hanging with some hilarious and wonderful friends while doing some hilarious and wonderful (if occasionally stupid) stuff.
Next summer marks the 10th anniversary of our first gathering in Vancouver, B.C. A lot has changed since then. Our fandoms flickered, flared and sometimes blew out altogether. The adventures of Mulder and Scully became the adventures of Mulder, Scully, Buffy, Spike, Angel, Cordelia, John, Aeryn, Jack, Sam, Daniel, Mal, Zoe and Wash... You get the picture: we're geeks. And very often 'shippers. But geeks and 'shippers in good company. ;)
A lot has changed in our pesky "real" lives as well. Several folks from our band of buggered saw fit to get married. Sometimes to one another. Babies have been born. There were graduations and celebrations and a couple of scary moments along the way. And very often when those things happened, fellow LF alumns were there.
So, the next Luvfest or Smashedfest, or whatever we want to call it, gives us a chance to do what our 10th high school reunions never could: remember the good times, make some new ones and revel in one another's company without all of the posturing and preening that usually comes with the typical package. And no, you don't have to be an alumn to attend. Hubbies, wives, kids, friends...heck, even strangers who enjoy a good bit of goofiness are all welcome to attend. Most activities will be friendly for all, and you can always skip out on anything that doesn't seem like a fit.
After no small amount of discussion and flip-flopping between options,we've decided to go back to our roots. LF+10 will be held back where it all began: Vancouver, British Columbia. Does it have Yard O'Margarita? No. Does it have a miniature Eiffel Tower, or white tigers, gondolas or dancing fountains? No. But it's apparent that July is the best time of the year for most folks, and the one thing Vegas has that we really *don't* want, is the potential for heat stroke. Spending three days with each other is great. But spending three days huddled in hotel rooms together when we can be *outside* in one of the most beautiful cities in the world together, is just SO much better.
As for when, fast forward a year. We're sticking with the Sunday-Wednesday option, July 15-18, 2007.
For those of you who had your hearts set on Vegas, we're sorry. We love Vegas too. But not when it's 120 degrees. So we've got a compromise. If you simply can't stand the idea of trekking north of the border for LF+10, we're going to have a Vegas mini-con in October 2007. Nothing formal, just a long weekend together in Sin City when the temperatures are cooler and it's possible to wander the strip without being miserable doing it.
So what is the plan for Van? This is the first draft of the itinerary. As always, subject to change, especially with a year to burn.
LF+10 Itinerary, Ver. 1.0
Sunday, July 15th, 2007 - Reunion Day (and someone's birthday, woot!)
* 1pm - Mixer in Hotel Lounge
* 2pm - Meet in Hotel Sylvia lobby, walk to the Aquabus at the foot of Hornby Street
* 2:30pm - Aquabus to Granville Island
* 3:pm - Kick-Off Luncheon on Granville Island
* 5pm - Explore Granville Island, Goofy Photo Ops Ahoy
* 7pm - Back to Hotel
* 8pm - Blast from the Past Reunion Party & Games Night in the LF Suite
Monday, July 16, 2007 - There Be Monsters at the End of the 'Verse
* 8:30am Up and at 'em mateys. Breakfast is served on the run this morning, as we don our pirate gear and head north for Horseshoe Bay.
* 10am We partake of the Seaquest Scavenger Hunt. For two and a half hours we compete as teams, each with our own speedboat, traveling through beautiful Howe Sound on a hunt for swag and glory. Savvy?
* 1pm Lunch, then time to explore
Tortuga Bowen Island's Old Village in Snug Cove
* 4pm Gather at Mystery H/Q, prepare dinner together
* 5pm Dinner together ensuite
* 6:30pm End of the 'Verse Party, Bowen Island.
The date has been set. The Senior Partners at Wolfram and Hart, working together with a small consortium of unnamed officials within the U.S. government, are set to bring about the ultimate apocalypse. Mankind's only hope? A team of experts from a wide variety of backgrounds gathered together on a remote island. Their mission: to prevent the extinction of the human race. Or possibly just to party like it's December 21, 2012.
* 9:30pm Wrap it up, clean it up and catch the last ferry back to the mainland
Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - The Amazing Race - Wacko LF Edition Day
* 9-10:30am Breakfast In Suite
* 10:30am - Our slightly mangled version of The Amazing Race kicks off in the suite. Wear comfy clothes and broken-in shoes. We won't make you eat bugs or shave your head, but that's all we can promise. Just kidding. Mostly. It's just a little friendly competition, and a chance to see some of the sights Vancouver has to offer. A full day of adventures, complete with road blocks, detours, and maybe, just maybe, a fast forward or two.
* 6pm - Dinner
* 8pm - Awards Ceremony & Multimedia Extravaganza (The winners of TAR-WLFE receive their "accolades", the annual Buffy OMwF sing-a-long takes place, a bucket load of top fanvids are shown, and a few other things we have up our short sleeves occur--in short, stay tuned!).
Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - ::Sniffle::
* 10am Farewell Breakfast
* Noon - Self-Guided Sci-Fi Geek Sites Tour (XF, SG, BSG, 4400, and whatever else we can scrounge up for you to run around a take pictures of between now and then )
* Any overnight stragglers may want to make a trip to the comedy club down on Granville Island.